Aims & Objectives
- Provide students with an understanding of the basic principles of marketing
- Allow students to hone their research and marketing skills, with the objective of gathering information and data related to products and services marketed in Singapore
- Present students with opportunities to explore the marketing arena in Singapore and to critique and evaluate their marketing effectiveness
At the end of the module, students will be able to:
- gain a basic understanding of marketing
- critique the marketing of products or services in the market place
- uncover the best practices in marketing that makes a product or service a success verses their respective competitors
- develop good communication, interpersonal skills and teamwork
Teaching & Learning Approaches
The course is divided into 3 parts: (i) workshops and seminars, (ii) industry visits and research, (iii) group project presentation and report. Students would also be given individual assignments and learning journals.
Students will learn concepts and principles of marketing conducted through interactive workshops and seminar style.
Students will be divided into project groups consisting of 4 to 5 students per group. Each project group would be assigned a popular consumer product that is currently sold in Singapore.
After the intensive workshops, students would be equipped to conduct market intelligence and information gathering for their assigned marketing project. Students may use face-to-face interviews, observation, mystery shopping techniques to obtain critical information for their project. This will inject experiential learning.
Students would participate in industry field trips to marketing organisations and learn through sharing by industry experts and practitioners. This will help to provide practical marketing insights and knowledge that would be useful in completing their assigned project.
In the final day, each project group would have to make a presentation covering the following areas:
- an analysis of the marketing mix (product, pricing, place and promotion) currently adopted by the company marketing the selected product
- What recommendations or improvements should be included in the existing marketing mix? Students would have the opportunity to showcase promotional ideas such as TV or print ads, and sales promotion ideas
Students will be required to complete individual assignments and also write personal reflective journals as part of their self-learning experience.
The assignments, field trips, workshops and projects will sharpen students’ interpersonal skills, develop team work and improve their critical thinking and problem solving abilities.
Workshops & Seminars
This course will be conducted over 5 days as follows:
- 2.5 days of intensive interactive training via workshops and seminars
- 1.5 days of industry visits, intensive research, information gathering and fieldwork
- 1 final day for project presentation and course wrap up to be scheduled one week later