Aims & Objectives
The module explores the fundamentals of Contemporary Chinese Music in four aspects:
- An appreciation of lyrical composition, including the values and culture underlying the various trends in lyrical composition.
- An introduction to Popular music composition and song writing where students are given opportunities to design and compose their own song projects together with Chinese lyrics writing.
- An introduction to the production Chinese popular music – both through in-house recording studio as well as professional recording company visits for a general understanding for this aspect of Chinese media.
- An introduction to singing techniques and allows students to explore their vocal talents leading to the production of a self-composed and performed song as a final project.
At the end of the module, students will be able to:
- Develop a keen level of appreciation for the aesthetics of Contemporary Chinese lyrical composition for the various genres of Chinese Popular Music as well as its underlying values and culture.
- Understand the methods of Chinese lyrical composition and language restrictions.
- Acquire fundamental knowledge and understanding of key Chinese popular music concepts, composition techniques and processes through interactive seminar-based studies.
- Have a basic understanding on recording and production of contemporary Chinese popular music.
- Have an awareness that applied Chinese Language can stretch to creative and exciting boundaries beyond what the conventional paths lead to.
Teaching & Learning Approaches
Students will find this a very “hands-on” course although there will be theoretical components in the module. Students will be taught in a seminar-styled learning environment where they work in groups. A key signature of this teaching and learning approach is the introduction of problem-based learning which the module structure flexibly permits.
Seminars (2 hours x 18)
The module is to be split into two seminars of 2 hours, held over 10 sessions.