Aims & Objectives
- Introduce students to the prevalence of chronic diseases in Singapore
- Equip students with basic and specific health skills in caring for a person with chronic disease
- Familiarize students to the roles of health professionals in the healthcare industry
- Expose students to a possible career in the healthcare industry
At the end of the module, students will be able to:
- State the types of chronic diseases and their impact on patients
- Discuss healthy lifestyles
- Understand the nature and causes of selected chronic diseases
- Perform basic healthcare skills
- Perform healthcare skills specific to selected chronic disease
Teaching & Learning Approaches
Through the lectures, students gain basic knowledge and understanding of common chronic diseases and its management.
Through the practical lessons, students are exposed to experiential learning allowing them to have hands-on skills practice. Students will also experience simulation-based training using mannequins and the adult Human Patient Simulation (HPS) at School of Health Sciences.
Through the field visit in the healthcare setting, students are able to see real patients with the chronic diseases. At the same time, they are able to observe healthcare professional at work. The field visit would be insightful and reflective.
This course will be conducted over 5 days.