- A strong focus on both technology development and energy management
- Hands-on learning at NP’s Solar Technology Centre and Wind Technology Centre
- Off-campus classes at clean energy companies
- Local and overseas internships with leading companies in the industry
- Exchange programmes with prestigious overseas universities such as Bochum University of Applied Sciences in Germany
There’s a lot more to going green than just recycling your plastic bags and newspapers. After all, the world today is faced with challenges arising from the depletion of energy resources and climate change. This means that there are many opportunities and new jobs being created in the energy sector. So if you have a heart for the environment and a head for science, the Diploma in Clean Energy Management (CEM) will be the course for you.
In CEM, you will be exposed to both the demand and supply side of energy management. You will learn about the various sources of renewable energy as well as the efficient use of energy.
With solar technology as a key focus in CEM, you will get hands-on training at our Solar Technology Centre. Here, you will work on a solar power system to generate solar energy. You may also be involved in gathering and analysing data for the national Clean Energy Research & Testbedding (CERT) programme.
In your first year, you will acquire a firm foundation in electrical and electronic engineering and a good understanding of how clean energy will contribute to a sustainable environment.
In your second year, you will work on some clean energy projects while continuing to hone your knowledge in engineering technology. You will also explore alternative sources of energy such as wind, hydro and fuel cell technologies. The course also covers modules such as Photovoltaic (PV) & Cell Fabrication Technology that teaches you to “grow” PV cells, install PV systems and measure cell efficiency.
You will also get the chance to put your skills and knowledge into practice through a six-month internship, either locally or abroad. You can also opt to work on an industry project. Our industry partners that provide off-campus learning opportunities include Marina Bay Sands, REC, Phoenix Solar, A*STAR and TÜV SÜD PSB. You may even be chosen for an exciting exchange programme with prestigious universities such as Bochum University of Applied Sciences in Germany.
Job prospects for CEM grads are bright as Singapore gears up to become a global clean energy hub. It was projected that some 3,500 skilled personnel are needed in the industry over the next few years. These jobs will come from the environmental and energy sectors, power and utilities companies, university laboratories as well as research and development (R&D) centres. You will be able to work as an energy specialist, system integrator, energy auditor, R&D associate or energy management executive. There is also an increasing demand for personnel trained in energy monitoring within the building industry.
You can also become an entrepreneur and add to the growing clean energy industry by coming up with new clean energy solutions!
With CEM’s firm foundation in electrical and electronic engineering, you can enrol in engineering courses offered by Nanyang Technological University, National University of Singapore, Singapore University of Technology & Design and Singapore Institute of Technology. You can also choose to pursue a solar or clean energy-related degree at the following overseas universities:
- University of New South Wales (Australia)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Photovoltaic & Solar Energy
- Bachelor of Engineering in Renewable Energy Engineering
- University of Adelaide (Australia)
- Bachelor of Engineering in Sustainable Energy Engineering
- University of Dundee (UK)
- Bachelor of Science in Renewable Energy
- University of Exeter (UK)
- Bachelor of Science in Renewable Energy
- Oregon Institute of Technology (US)
- Bachelor of Science in Renewable Energy Engineering
- University of Otago (New Zealand)
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Energy Management
Here are more details on the degree options and advanced standing at the universities - locally and overseas.