The Dot (Multimedia & Animation Centre) was specially conceived and developed to support the teaching and learning of the Diploma in Multimedia & Animation (Dip MMA) at Ngee Ann’s School of InfoComm Technology. The course was first launched in 2005 in response to the growing need for developers of interactive digital media content in the creative industries.
The Dot supports project-based and learning-by-doing philosophy of the Dip MMA course. Together with the curriculum, it aims to develop students’ potential from three perspectives - knowledge, skills, and professionalism.
As a teaching and learning centre for interactive and digital media, The Dot is a meeting point for all students and their coaches to work, learn and share. As an incubation hub, The Dot is a workplace-learning environment for the faculty, industry and students to develop projects together, nurturing the spirit of innovation, enterprise, independence, and pro-activeness in the students while they develop their portfolio throughout their course.
Studio Facilities & Equipment
• Multimedia Labs – Two specialized labs equipped with twenty-six high-end workstations for 3D modeling and animation production, audio and video post-production. One of the labs is also equipped with drawing tablets and Toon Boom Studio for classical (2D) animation production.
• Art / Animation Studio – Used for drawing and classical animation lessons and workshops, the studio is equipped with folding tables, folding easels and portable animation light boxes.
• Chromakey (Green-Screen) Studio – Equipped with lighting grids, assortment of studio lighting and a Green Screen Cyclorama, this studio is used for video production, photography and motion capture.
• Sound Studio – Comprised of a control and recording room, the studio is equipped with a dual-processor Apple Macintosh PowerMac G5 workstation, Genelec surround sound speaker systems, Digidesign Pro Tools, and a Tascam Digital Audio Mixer capable of surround sound panning.
• Incubation Lab & Consultation Rooms – A place to nurture innovation and enterprise spirit, the lab is equipped with eight dual-processor Apple Macintosh PowerMac G5 with Maya Unlimited edition for high-end 3D animation production; a Final Cut Pro Studio Production suite and two PC-based digital video editing workstation. Students use the two adjacent small consultation rooms to meet and consult with their coaches and clients on projects. The rooms also double up as idea brainstorming and project rooms.
• Mini Exhibition Gallery – Located near the art / animation studio and next to the graffiti wall, the mini exhibition gallery is a place where students showcase their master pieces and portfolios.
• Graffiti Wall – As part of the concept design for The Dot and to achieve open-ness and connected-ness, students can “interact” with the wall to develop and showcase their creativity.
• Learning Hubs – Students and their coaches meet in these four seminar-style rooms daily to facilitate exchanging and sharing of knowledge and experiences.