Diploma in Early Childhood Care and Education - Teaching (DECCET)
This course brings students through studies in children’s development, the tenets of early childhood education, as well as the various skills and competencies required of a professional early childhood educator. Opportunities for the application of pedagogical knowledge, planning and designing curriculum and working with families and the communities provided in the various modules will prepare students with contemporary strategies for early childhood settings of the 21st century.
|This course aims to equip students with: |
- Knowledge of child development theories and principles of appropriate practices for a diverse group of children.
- Skills and competencies to become a professional early childhood educator.
- Knowledge, skills and dispositions relevant to the planning and implementation of an integrated, developmentally and culturally appropriate curriculum.
- An understanding of the social context of children’s growth, development and learning.
Who Should Attend
|Existing teachers who need to upgrade to a diploma qualification and new teachers who need professional training.|
- The Developing Child (I)
- Principles and Practices in Early Education
- Children’s Health and Socio-emotional Well-being
- The Developing Child (II)
- Language and Literacy
- The Early Educator as a Professional
- Practicum (I)**
- The Learning Environment and Behaviour Management
- Infant and Toddler Learning Environment
- The Child and the Creative Curriculum
- Practicum (II)**
- Working with the Exceptional Child
- The Child and the Inquiry Curriculum
- Social Studies in Early Education
- Practicum (III)**
- Curriculum Planning and Design
- Working with Families and Communities
- Practicum (IV)**
** Each Practicum will take place after the exam week of the previous semester
Course Application Details, please refer to CET Academy and go to Search A Course and search under "Humanities & Early Childhood Education".
Minimum Entry Requirements
| For existing teachers who have been registered with MOE/ MCYS as at 31 Dec 2008|
- GCE ‘O” level credits in 5 different subjects, including EL1 OR
- GCE “O” level credits in 3 different subjects, including EL1 and a CPT
- Those who do not have a credit in EL1, needs to obtain a minimum band 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) prior to admission to the course.
- All applicants with relevant work experience and whose application is endorsed with a strong letter of recommendation by the current employer.
For new teachers who register with MOE/ MCYS on / after 1 Jan 2009
- GCE ‘O” level credits in 5 subjects, with minimum B4 in EL1
- Those who obtained a C5 or C6 in EL1, will need to achieve a minimum band score of 6.5 in the IELTS within 2 years of registration as a teacher.
- All applicants should have preferably 3 years of work experience.
- A medical report upon acceptance into the course, stating your fitness to work with young children, is required from those not currently employed as teachers
Applicants who are not employed as teachers at the time of application, may also apply for the course if they meet the Entry Requirements and an entry interview may be applicable.